Variety of Grains What are the variety of grains that farmers and ranchers grow beyond corn and soybean? This AgChat conversation looks at what is beyond the transitional view of crops being grown.
Complete Twitter conversation for AgChat on Alternative Grains and Grain Oils.
- What does the term ‘monoculture’ mean to you?
- Why do you think monoculture is becoming such a dirty word? Is it based in reality?
- Do you include a small/alt grain in your crop rotation? Which ones?
- Anyone a ‘beer’ farmer, what is involved?
- What are the benefits of growing small/alt grains?
- Do you raise small/alt grains for livestock feed or human consumption? Why?
- How do you sell your grains? And via @hmgrwn1how can we make it easier to sell small grains?
- How does growing small grains affect your soil fertility program? cc @notrunningfast
- Debate time: Which grain produces the healthiest cooking oil?
- Do current Farm Bill program encourage or discourage you to plant small/alt grains?
- What changes would you like to see in Farm Bill to support small/alt grains?
- Does it matter if consumers think farms are monoculture? Why/why not?
- Are there any consumer engagement programs that highlight the benefits of small/alt grains?