Ag-Gag Laws Many states are aiming to put in place “ag-gag” laws to stop undercover filming on farms and ranches. What is an “Ag Gag” law and how does it impact farmers, ranchers, and the public? This AgChat conversation looks at the issues. Are you in a state with Ag-Gag laws?
Complete Twitter conversation for AgChat on Ag-Gag Laws.
- How would you explain ag gag laws to someone who is not familiar with them? Purpose?
- How would ag gag laws help keep liars and dishonest people off of farms?
- How do ag gag laws affect farm animal care? Will laws hinder certain practices?
- What message(s) do ag gag laws send about farmers and ranchers?
- If animal abuse is found on a farm, to whom should it be reported and in what time frame?
- Beyond workers agreeing to notify of inhumane care, what other ways can farmers make sure cruelty doesn’t occur?
- What are some ways farmers can ensure they are hiring people who want to take animal care seriously?
- Is a measure that only addresses not handing material over to law enforcement better (v. photography) ?
- With privacy issues cited by urban areas and drones, how to we protect privacy invasion on farms?
- At what point to ag gag laws go to far?
- How can ag bridge the gap with consumers created by recent ag gag law proposals?
- What is a better way to keep dishonest people from infringing on a farm’s privacy rather than ag gag laws?
- What’s your takeaway message from this evening? What will you start doing differently?