What About Animal Welfare? Many consumers know of animal welfare mainly through the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) portraying agriculture animals in a bad light. But like many issues, there are multiple views. This AgChat brings people in and out of agriculture to discuss animal care and what farmers and ranchers do everyday.
Complete Twitter conversation for AgChat on Animal Welfare.
- Please tell us about #farm/#ranch efforts to care for animals in the frigid temps much of the country is experiencing.
- To farmers & ag peeps, how many nonfarm folks have you had convo w/re farming methods in last 3 mos.?
- How has the livestock industry improved animal welfare over the last decade?
- What are some of your best practices for speaking with opposing groups about animal welfare? Do’s and Don’ts?
- Animal welfare is something that can be hard to explain. How would you describe it?
- What are the public’s biggest concerns when it comes to animal welfare?
- What is the perceived value of certifications such as Animal Welfare Approved & Certified Humane?
- How can we encourage veterinarians to be more engaged in talking about #animalwelfare?
- How much value do producers actually put on the results of animal welfare research?
- What are the biggest public misconceptions about farm animal welfare?
- Why do farmers & ranchers spend so much time, $ and effort to keep their animals healthy?
- How are animal welfare and antibiotic usage in livestock related?
- Let’s help each other. Who are the animal welfare experts you recommend learning more about or from?
- How can animal agriculture be more proactive in welfare?
- This year, I personally will do _____ to foster convo regarding animal welfare.