Crop Insurance Crop insurance is way to help protect the business of raising crops from selected disasters. But what does it take to get crop insurance and what will it cover? This AgChat conversation shares thoughts and information on how to protect the business of farming from disaster.
Extra: Thanks to the many participants who shared resources links, a resource page on crop insurance resource was created.
- What is crop insurance?
- Why is crop insurance important?
- Is it ‘crop insurance’ or should it really be ‘protecting the farm business insurance’?
- What are best practices for choosing an agent&carrier; and what to do when it’s time to part ways for another?
- Are there any natural occurrences not covered by crop insurance. Tornadoes, etc.
- When did you start buying crop insurance for each of your crops?
- How could crop insurance be positioned commodities to include all crops?
- As far as farm size – what would be the most beneficial point to getting crop insurance? Does crop matter?
- Would free market crop insurance without subsidies make crop insurance business viable & prices affordable?
- Is it fair that some commodities have crop insurance while others don’t, such as some specialty crops?
- If crop ins protections are improved in farm bill,would you support elimination of grower direct payments?
- If I have Fed Crop Ins do I need additional coverage?
- What other risk management tools do you utilize outside of crop insurance?
- What is the one executable thing you will go do / take on after this convo?